How To File For Homestead Exemption

Wondering how to file for homestead exemption? Just look below!

Homestead Exemption must be filed by March 31st of the year following your purchase. You must own your home and reside there on or before January 1st of the current year to be eligible for homestead exemption. Your warranty deed must be on file in the Chancery Clerk’s office by January 7th of the current year. If your home is a mobile home, you must certify your mobile home to the land roll for taxation. You may file anytime between January 1st and March 31st at your county tax assessor’s office.

Items Needed when Applying for Homestead:

  • Recorded warranty deed or copy of recorded warranty deed
  • Full purchase price of the home (closing/settlement statement)
  • Amount of down payment, monthy payment, mortgager, and interest rate
  • Both social security numbers (if jointly owned, even if the spouse is not on the deed)
  • Car tag numbers of all vehicles owned by homeowners
  • Valid proof of Mississippi identification

Reasons You May Need To Re-File:

Marital status change, property sold, eligible for different type of exemption, filed new deeds, built a new home, changed residence, property combined, add property to your current exemption, percentage of eligibility changed, business activity

Where do I go?

Forrest County: Applications are taken on the second floor of the Forrest County Tax Service Building at 601 Main Street. (601) 545-6130

Lamar County: Applications are accepted at 144 Shelby Speights Dr, Purvis, MS 39475. 601-794-1021

Perry County: Applications are accepted at the Courthouse in New Augusta located at Courthouse Square. (601) 964-3398

Jones County: Applications are accepted at the Courthouse in Ellisville at 101 North Court Street. (601) 477-3253

Covington County: Applications are accepted in Collins at 101 Elm Ave. (601) 765-6232


If you have any questions or need copies of any information from a closing with RE/MAX Real Estate Partners, please call our office at 601-296-2001.